Saturday, May 19, 2012

Mission Accomplished!


Finally, after my second trip to France, I can cross a most important landmark off my list: the Palace of Versailles! I was so excited to see the famed chateau; finally, after my visit, I have nothing but fond memories, and tons of great photos. Our intrepid (and tres gentile) tour guide, Emanuelle, not only hooked us up and got us group bookings for the afternoon, but acted as our personal tour guide throughout the castle, providing us with background information on the palace and the fabled history of its rulers, specifically Kings Louis XIV and XVI. The interiors were beautifully decorated and very colorful, but the outside was far superior.



I am so thankful that I took the extra journey to Marie Antoinette's little hamlet, as this tranquil corner of the grounds, where the infamous Queen liked to escape palace life, was beautiful and quaint (and home to many photo ops). In a word: breathtaking. And picture-perfect. I could have spent hours here. Thank you, Professor Banis, for suggesting this most beautiful section of the grounds! :)

On the whole, I must say that I am quite pleased and impressed with my French. I studied the language through middle and high school--and it's coming quite in handy now! I'm the first to admit that my language skills are rather rusty, but they work and get me through. Often, I'm the translator when I'm out to eat with my friends--like tonight, when we dined near our hotel, located in la Defense, a business district on the outskirts of Paris. It's nice to know that textbook French can actually assist you when ordering food, purchasing souvenirs, and carrying on the smallest of conversations. This evening, I asked a stranger in the Metro whether she spoke English, only to realize I didn't need the language! We were able to converse entirely en francaise!

I am having a great time. It was a dream to come here and I am thrilled to continually find myself here. I only wish I had more time to linger at each destination... Tonight I am sitting in my hotel room with my roommate, enjoying some red wine, and reminiscing about our Parisian adventures. Life is pretty sweet. C'est tres bon! Tomorrow we visit Loire Valley to see some chateaus. Should be quite picturesque. What more could you want?! From Paris La Defense, Stephanie Ebeling



No comments:

Post a Comment