Sunday, May 20, 2012

Lost in Translation

This week in France has so far been one of the most memorable trips of my life. Although we find ourselves exhausted from our adventures we have been able to see so many things so far. We've seen the Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame, the Louvre, Versailles, and many other things people often get to see when abroad in France, but those are only parts of the entrance.

This trip has made me realize how difficult it must be for people to live in another country when the language is not their own. A simple trip to the grocery store was enough to stress me out to the point of exhaustion. I was in line with one box of food, and there were two people in front of me. While waiting the man in front of me said something in French, and laughed. Not knowing any French, I laughed to be polite and hoped he would leave me alone. Eventually when he reached the front he said something to me again. I still didn't know what he was saying, and after moment he said it again. Soon the cashier was saying the same thing, and two girls behind me were as well. Embarrassed and confused, I had to ask the man if he spoke English. He had been telling me to go to the front of the line because I had only one item. I felt silly, and realized how difficult it would be to be traveling in a foreign country without people who speak the same language.

But this trip has been such an amazing experience. I loved visiting Versailles, and seeing it's beautiful gardens and Marie Antoinette's hamlet, and it was amazing to visit the castle of Amboise today, and see the tomb of Leonardo da Vinci. I'm really looking forward to what is in store for he next few days, especially seeing the catacombs on Tuesday. Catie Meehan


No comments:

Post a Comment